Thursday 10 February 2011

On the Painting Table: Chaos Spawn

Building a brand new army can be a daunting task and it’s very tempting to splash out initially on expensive units to quickly accelerate toward a playable points total.
This can lead to problems though.
I currently own a Doombull and a Beastmen battalion – none of which are completed, while I’m well on the way to overfilling up my Rare allotment. Rare troops can only be a maximum of 25% of the total points. The real restriction here, especially on a new army is that I need to have at least as many points in Core as I have in Rare – but that means painting a heck of a lot of infantry models, that right now I can’t be bothered to do.
But who cares. For now, I’m just enjoying what I’m doing. It’ll become a playable force eventually.
Here are my first completed models: Chaos Spawn.

I bought these models in a 40k Apocalypse boxed set. I own 10 of them, but of course the army restriction prevents me having more than four in an army under 3,000 points.
D’oh!
They’re nice models and I particularly like the background: devotees of the Chaos Gods who have been gifted one too many times with mutation and are now mewling mindless monsters.
Next up is going to be a giant. And just wait until you see him. He isn’t a GW model but he is kind of cool. I’ll unveil him when he’s done. For now, imagine the combination of giant... and lion.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. I totally understand you. I too may start off with loads of units in mind but end up wandering off and painting special units or characters instead. I guess we get saturated after a while and need a break. I'm curious to see how the Doombull is going to turn out. As for the Giant, I have a rough idea...

    ReplyDelete